We all have a stake in the success of Pitt. As an economic driver and innovation engine, the University of Pittsburgh makes a significant contribution to the state’s economy while delivering a world-class education to students.
Driving the Pennsylvania Economy
- Pitt's economic impact is $4.2 billion annually.
- $20 is returned to the state for every $1 invested in Pitt
- Pitt returns $184 million in tax revenue to state and local government
- The University, our faculty, staff, students, and visitors spend a combined $1.7 billion on businesses in Pennsylvania.
- Pitt attracts more than $900 million in research grants and contracts
- Pitt is ranked top 10 in National Institutes of Health funding
- Total impact of Pitt's research activity is $1.9 billion
- Pitt is a top producer of Fulbright grant recipients, Rhodes scholars, and Truman Scholarship winners
- More than 180,000 Pitt alumni call Pennsylvania home
- Pitt alumni generate nearly $115 billion additional income to the state over their careers
- Pitt is one of the largest employers in the state of Pennsylvania, accounting for 1 out of every 161 jobs in the Commonwealth
- More than 37,000 jobs are supported by Pitt across PA
Access and Affordability
The University of Pittsburgh admits students with academic and personal promise without consideration of ability to pay. Working together with families, we find ways to help make a Pitt education a reality. Through innovative programs, Pitt is increasing access to higher education while working proactively to provide affordable options to all students. The top programs are highlighted below. Read the full details here or visit affordability.pitt.edu.
- Pitt Success Pell Match
- Panthers Forward
- Coalition for College
- Pittsburgh Admissions Collaboration
- Pittsburgh Public Scholars