Farmers to Families Food Box Distribution
The University of Pittsburgh's Office of Community and Government Relations and Compass Group, Pitt’s dining services provider, are teaming up with community organizations to distribute 5,000 food boxes to individuals and families across Pittsburgh. Compass Group initiated this community outreach and is assisting in meal coordination and distribution to help those in need with additional partners and University volunteers. Community and Governmental Relations is supporting efforts of Pittsburgh-area nonprofits and community organizations to set up six different distribution stations across Pittsburgh over three days: October 21, 24, and 29.
The program is part of a partnership between the USDA and farmers, ranchers, specialty crop producers, food processors and distributors, and nonprofit organizations that ensure that all Americans have access to the fresh and wholesome food they need during the COVID-19 national emergency. More than one million food boxes have been distributed.
- Farmers provide food previously destined for restaurants and bulk purchasers to distributors, preventing waste.
- Distributors partner with the USDA to obtain family-sized boxes with fresh produce, dairy and meat products and distribute through community organizations.
- Families pick up food boxes from local schools, food banks, and additional locations.
Community members are invited to receive meal kits at the locations below.
- Pre-registration is not required, open to all community residents.
- 10 meals are included in each kit, including fresh produce, dairy and meat products.
- Vehicle and walk-up services are available.
- To attend, face coverings, physical distancing and safety guidance must be followed.
Wednesday, October 21, 2020, from 2 to 6 p.m.
- Location: Pittsburgh Parking Authority’s Zenith lot, located at Homewood Avenue at Kelly Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15208
- Partners: The Homewood Community Development Collaborative, Operation Better Block, The Homewood Ministerium, East Hills Consensus Group, Bethany Community Ministries, Richard’s Imagine Center of Hope, Trying Together, The Office of State Representative Ed Gainey
- Location: Schenley Plaza Tent, 4100 Forbes Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15260
- Partners: Oakland Planning and Development Corporation, The Commonwealth of Oakland, Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy, Pitt Pantry
Saturday, October 24, 2020, from 9 to 11 a.m.
- Hill District
- Location: Shop 'n Save parking lot: 1850 Centre Avenue, 15219
- Partners: Macedonia FACE, The Corner, The Office of State Representative Jake Wheatley, 412 Food Rescue
Thursday, October 29, 2020, from 2 to 6 p.m.
- South Hilltop (Carrick)
- Location: Dairy District Pavilion, 1529 Brownsville Rd., Pittsburgh, PA 15210
- Partners: Hilltop Alliance, Economic Development South, and Carrick Community Council
- Dairy Mart lot at 4915 2nd Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15207
- Partners: Hazelwood Initiative, P.O.O.R. L.A.W., and Praise Temple
- Steel Valley
- Location: Barrett Elementary School, 221 E 12th Ave, Homestead, PA 15120
- Partners: Steel Valley School District School Board
Organizations that are interested in receiving meal kits should contact email@example.com or call (412) 624-7755.
Community volunteers should contact firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
University members interested in volunteering to serve the community can fill out this registration form.
If you have any questions or need additional information regarding this community initiative, please contact email@example.com or call (412) 624-7755.